Saturday, April 3, 2021

Christopher Robin (2018)

Title: Christopher Robin
Rating: PG
Run Time: 1 hour 44 minutes
Release Date: August 3, 2018
Genre(s): Fantasy, Drama
Production Co.: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Marc Forster
Starring: Ewan McGregor, Hayley Atwell, Bronte Carmichael


Who would I recommend this to?
People who need to remember how to smile once in a while.

What is this about?
An imaginative boy grows up into a miserable man until old friends remind him how to smile again.

When would be a good time to watch this?
Whenever you have a spare two hours.

Where does it take place?
London and the Hundred Acre Wood.

Why did I decide to watch this?
I love Winnie the Pooh. I put this movie off for three years despite pre-ordering the DVD because the previews creeped me out. Now it's A to Z Blogging time again...

How did I like this?
I loved the first half of this movie. Grumpy Christopher Robin and bumbling Pooh Bear was just delightful. The foggy Hundred Acre Wood was also intriguing. I would have happily watched two hours of that.

The second half was more formulaic and less charming. Still good, but it was missing that special something of the beginning. Plus I still hate the way Tigger and Eeyore look. They're creepy as heck. And the voice of Piglet was super off.

Have you seen Christopher Robin? What did you think?
If not, would you watch it?

8 comments:

  1. I thought this movie was derivative of the movie Hook, far too melancholy, and didn't take full advantage of the acting talents of McGregor and Atwell. The animation of the Hundred Acre Woods friends is really cool, though. I felt this movie had the potential to be much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Hook and can definitely see the comparison.

      Delete
  2. We watched this during the most recent lockdown, and it was a great way to spend an afternoon, made us laugh out loud quite a few times!
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/03/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-c/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first half of the movie was wonderful!

      Delete
  3. I saw it and like you I put it off for a number of years not because of the creepy factor although that aspect of the movie is offputting. I didn't watch it because none of my family members ever wanted to watch it and while I watch movies alone all the time it never made #1 in my queue to borrow an antiquated Netflix phrase. Once I did watch it, I did enjoy it. I agree with the 2nd half being weaker than the first half. The end is not only formulaic, it in some ways is indistinguishable from Mary Poppins Returns. https://dave-homeschooldad.blogspot.com/2021/04/c-is-for-cs.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Mary Poppins Returns about a week after this one, and completely agree! That's so strange.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this one. I'll have to add it to my list.

    Visiting from A to Z
    Blogging at Transformed Nonconformist

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same problem with the previews. Also, I just realized I have never seen any of the Winnie the Pooh cartoons in English...
    Happy A to Z!

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete