Wednesday, November 25, 2020

You've Got Mail (1998)

Title: You've Got Mail
Rating: PG
Run Time: 2 hours
Release Date: December 18, 1998
Genre(s): Romance
Production Co.: Warner Bros.
Director: Nora Ephron
Starring: Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Greg Kinnear


Who would I recommend this to?
Anyone who likes Romance. Preferable someone who grew up in the AOL era.

What is this about?
Bookstore rivals unknowingly fall in love through e-mails.

When would be a good time to watch this?

Date night. Christmastime.

Where does it take place?
New York City.

Why did I decide to watch this?
I don't remember the first time but I was obsessed. Now I'm watching it as part of the pre-holiday season.

How did I like this?
This movie is so cute and I have such a new appreciation for it 22 years later! I totally remember the dial-up tone and that slightly robotic yet cheery "you've got mail" greeting. It's so funny how the internet has changed since then, along with people's views on technology.

Also now that I'm a romance novel junkie, I can see how this uses some favorite tropes to get these two together. It's just delightful! Enemies to lovers! Rivals to lovers! Mystery identity!

And it's weird to see people excited about bookstores! Especially the opening of a new one, since these days bookstores are constantly closing thanks to the internet...

Have you seen You've Got Mail? What did you think?
If not, would you watch it?

No comments:

Post a Comment