Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Asia's Next Top Model Cycle 1 (2012-13)

Title: Asia's Next Top Model Cycle 1
Rating: NR
Run Time: 45 minutes
Release Date: November 25, 2012
Genre(s): Series, Reality
Starring: Nadya Hutagalung, Joey Mead, Todd Anthony Tyler


Who would I recommend this to?
Fans of Next Top Model.

What is this about?
Fourteen young women compete to be supermodels!

When would be a good time to watch this?
This second lockdown is good.

Where does it take place?
Singapore.

Why did I decide to watch this?
Because I grew up on America's Next Top Model and wanted to check out the other country's editions.

How did I like this?
It was fine. It was quite different from America, and even more subdued than Africa's. I'm sure this is a cultural thing, so it's not bad or good. I did like how the girls were generally more friendly and supportive of each other--with one notable exception. The judges were also more serious and no-nonsense, which was great for giving useful advice to the girls, but doesn't make for entertaining television.

For some reason I had thought each season was focused on a different Asian country, but was pleasantly surprised that it was a pan-Asian competition. I was expecting very diverse girls. Sadly, I was disappointed on that front. A lot of the girls looked Caucasian or at least half. They're beautiful, but boring. It makes me sad that whiteness is the beauty standard almost everywhere.

Have you seen Asia's Next Top Model? What did you think?
If not, would you watch it?

No comments:

Post a Comment