Monday, September 12, 2022

Tiny Shoulders: Rethinking Barbie (2018)

Title: Tiny Shoulders: Rethinking Barbie
Rating: NR
Run Time: 1 hour 31 minutes
Release Date: April 27, 2018
Genre(s): Documentary
Production Co.: Hulu
Director: Andrea Blaugrund Nevins
Starring: Richard Dickson, Kristina Duncan, Michelle Chidoni


Who would I recommend this to?
Anyone interested in the history of Barbie and how she made her comeback for modern audiences.

What is this about?
The rise and fall and resurgence of the Barbie doll.

When would be a good time to watch this?
No rush, but whenever you feel like.

Where does it take place?
America.

Why did I decide to watch this?
I've been on a Barbie kick lately.

How did I like this?
It's kind of dry. When I think of Barbie, I think fun and glamour and possibilities! This was kind of a downer. I know it's about how Barbie was becoming irrelevant and almost hated, but the delivery didn't need to be so somber.

Do I think Barbie needed a makeover? Yes and no. I definitely think there needs to be a range of skintones and body types so kids can see themselves in the dolls. But I don't think Barbie herself needed a change. She was never meant to be realistic, she was just a vessel for children to project their imaginations on. You can't please everyone.

Have you seen Tiny Shoulders? What did you think?
If not, would you watch it?

No comments:

Post a Comment